At RRM 2018, a workshop was held for future graduate school applicants on writing effective personal statements for graduate school applications. The following is a recording of the webinar that was held before the conference to prepare the attendees for the workshop.
Hosts: Guramrit Singh and Amanda Simcox, Department of Molecular Genetics, The Ohio State University
Moderator: Christopher Manion, Associate Director, Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing, The Ohio State University
Graduate recruitment panel:
- Sharon Amacher, Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics at The Ohio State University
- Mike Ibba, Professor and Chair of the Department of Microbiology at The Ohio State University
- Where do the statements come in the process in relation to other admissions materials?
- What do the graduate recruitment committee members look for when they read the personal statements?
- What do committees discuss in relation to personal statements when they are deliberating about candidates?
We hope that the webinar will provide guidance to a broader community of graduate school applicants to write effective personal statements.